Applying for a passport online is a convenient alternative to applying for one through the post. However, switching to these online methods can be tricky, especially when it comes to submitting an acceptable sized photo.
Digital photo dimensions
The most important thing to consider for your online passport photo is the size and quality of the photo itself. There are certain rules that you must follow for this:
• Photo size: Your photo must be a minimum of 600 pixels wide and 750 pixels tall and a maximum of 4000 x 3000 pixels.
• File size: Your photo must be at least 50kb in size and 10mb maximum
• File type: Only .jpg and .jpeg files can be processed
• The photo must also be in focus
• Do not apply any filters to your photo
In order to obtain the correct size and dimensions for your photo, you can choose from an array of online or computer-based editing programs to resize and crop your photo to the required passport regulations.
You can also order your passport photos through the internet if you prefer to have physical copies of them. Paspic.com offer a service where you can order passport photo prints for the whole family where they are validated and delivered to you at an affordable price.
How to get a digital photo
You can use your phone, tablet or camera to take a digital photo for your passport – it is a good idea to have a friend do this to ensure your photo is straight and is taken in the correct way. You can also go to a photo booth – you can now get a code along with your printed portrait photo to retrieve the digital version of it. Finally, you can also similarly get your digital passport photo from a photo shop.
Rules for taking a digital photo
The rules for taking a digital photo, other than the file and photo sizes, follow the same rules for a normal, printed passport photo.
A passport photo will be accepted as long as the photo:
• Is of you looking straight at the camera, face forward
• Shows your face clearly without expression or smile, with your hair back, and without glasses or anything on your head (unless you must for religious or medical reasons)
• Be clear and of good, in-focus quality
• Has a clear, light, plain background
• Has been taken recently, within the last month